I chose to write about turkeys because I think that they are fascinating birds. The 10th fact will shock you!
1. The scientific name for a turkey is Melleagris gallopavo.
2. Benjamin Franklin (A Founding Father of the United States) referred to the turkey as a bird of courage and respect, he called the national bird, (the eagle) a bird of bad character because it ate carion and so was like a vulture in his opinion.
3. An adult turkey has 5,000 to 6,000 feathers on its body!
4. A hen lays 10-12 eggs, but she lays one everyday over the course of 2 weeks in the summer.
5. Turkeys were near extinction during the 1900’s, luckily they were saved by restoration programs and people throughout North America helped the turkey reproduce.
6. A male turkey is called a tom, a female turkey is called a hen, a baby turkey is called a turkeyling or a poult.
7. Turkeylings like to eat small bugs such as grasshoppers, worms and ants, adult turkeys usually eat fruits and sometimes bugs.
8. In the wild female turkeys can live for 3 years and toms can live for 2 years, but when they are domesticated, both can live up to 10 years.
9. A group of turkeys is called a flock!
10. 45 million turkeys are eaten every Thanksgiving! That is about 690 millions pounds of Turkey. There are about 325 million people in the United States, which means on average each person eats over 2 pounds of Turkey on Thanksgiving!!!